Friday, January 14, 2011

Building Blocks of Character

We have been working on the characteristics of Obedience, Attentiveness, and Self Control for the last few weeks.

In the last weeks there have been challenges, and "wood shed" moments, where consequences have needed to be had.  Over all, I would say that I see an improvement, yet, we are by no means ready to let go of these three concepts.

Last night as I was discussing with my husband which Character Trait to work on next.....  I decided to make up some flash cards with the qualities we are building on, and currently integrating.  The front of the card has the trait, and it's direct opposite.  The back of the card the definition and Bible Verse that goes along with it. 

I tell you what, these verses.... are convicting...!!
It was said in church Sunday, by our Pastor....  You only believe as much of the Bible as you obey.  I can say by reading these verses that are on this list....  wow....  I as a mommy have some work to do, with myself!!

The characteristics we will be working on for the remainder of January are:

Obedience not Willfulness ( yes, again.... sigh.....we need to really camp here!! )
The freedom to be creative under the protection of divinely appointed authority. ~ verse ~ 2nd Corinthians 10:5 ~  casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Reverence not Disrespect
The awareness of how God is working through the people and events in my life to produce the character of Christ in me.  ~ verse ~ Proverbs 23:17-18 ~ do not let your heart envy sinners, but be zealous for the fear of the LORD all the day.  For surely there is a hereafter, and your hope will not be cut off.

Orderliness (oh man.....  do I need this one!!) not Disorganization
Preparing myself and my surrounding so that I will achieve the greatest amount of efficiency.  ~ verse ~ 1st Corinthians 14:40 ~ Let all thing be done decently and in order.


Here is a song that we sing to help with Obedience....  the kids love it, and sing it often in church.  When we are out and about, starting to sing this tune gets everyone back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...