Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Butter-whys

A few days ago, the boys were outside running off some energy, between workboxes, and we noticed a hoard of white butterflies all over the yard. 

They were in the front yard dancing among the pine tree branches....

They were in the back yard, flitting from grass, to weed, to the trees...

They were everywhere!

They boys couldn't resist, and Hunter sent in Jeremiah to ask me if they could catch the butter-whys, since Hunter knows that if I am given the cute face by his little brother, and I can justify something they are doing as school..... I will say yes, and let them 'play' longer.

So I armed the two butter-why hunters with disposable Tupperware..... and set them loose to terrorize,  I mean, to hunt, catch and release as many of the little creatures as they could find.

They brought one in for my inspection, and asked me what kind it was.  I told them I had no idea, but we would find out......  It took three days, but we found out what they were and why there were a gazillion of them in the yard.... well all over town, really.  Daddy had heard about them on the radio, and what they were called so we looked it up on the Internet to get more information.....

They are The White Pine Butterfly, who were apparently in the midst of an "outbreak".  It is said that the occurrence of them in such great numbers, happens once every 30 to 50 years.... 

We learned about their life cycle, and about what to look for on our tree next spring when the eggs hatch.....

It was a great (even if it was accidental ) nature study......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...