Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bah Hum-bug

It's that time of year again... Christmas.
I don't know why, but I have a harder time, year after year, getting excited about this holiday.  To me it is so over commercialized.  Everyone around me seems to have been bitten by the same bug, and are now suffering from the hideous disease of Stuff-itis.

We are supposed to be celebrating something so amazing and wonderful.  Instead, everywhere you look, it is all trees and lights, candy and cookies, men in red suits and large antlered animals that fly.

How scared must Mary have been to be told she would bear the Saviour.  How brave she and Joseph needed to be, her pregnancy brought them ridicule and shame, for no one understood what was happening.  How strong a faith was evidenced by them as they walked down a road no one had ever been.  How amazing was that moment when Mary looked into her baby son's eyes for the first time....  She held her Saviour.  What did she see in his eyes?  There must have been a kindness there, a compassion, a love that knew no bounds.  What was the struggle within a mothers heart as she watched her Jesus with other children?  She knew his perfection.  How it must have pained her to see how deceitful the hearts of other children could be.
The gift of Christmas is really the gift of the Cross.  It is Jesus, come in flesh to die, so that I might live. His gift of life to me is freedom.  Freedom to live as He shows me in His Word.

That is what excites me about this holiday. 

What do you teach your children about Christmas?  What activities do you do as a family that help prevent stuff-itis?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...