Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Do you have a Teentrepreneur?

I had a lemonade stand once.  A guy up the street happened to take freelance pictures for the newspaper, and that got me, Steven, and his sister Kara about 2 seconds of our allotted 15 minutes of fame....

I have sold Caramel Corn and my world famous Toffee, with a friend at local Craft Fairs....we did pretty well....

My husband wants to make and sell soap, and distressed furniture, and... and.... and.....

Lets just say the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in this house.  My teens have certainly caught the bug, My daughter babysits and works out on a farm, to learn more about animals, dreaming of a way she can go into business for herself with a place full of critters.  She checks out books from the library all the time on how to start a business at home. My son rakes leaves, mows lawns, and shovels snow, and makes some good money at it I might add. 

One of the things that is included with the Schoolhouse Expo this Spring, is a Teen Track.  That's right they are including some individualised business instruction for my teens!  My high school kids generally listen in with me while they are doing their work.  During the first Expo seminar we attended, for a talk on Creationism, I actually think it was my then 15 year old son, whose ears were glued to the speakers. I am confidant that for this Expo, some of the speakers are going to be family gatherings.  Especially the Hogans, a mom and son speaker team that will be discussing home based entrepreneurship.  That is right up our alley!

I think it is great to have specific topics like this, targeted to teens.  Let's face it, they aren't going to be in the nest forever, and during these years, they need to be exploring who they want to be, and what they want to do, when they grow up.  Having home based businesses now, will help them finance and pursue their goals and dreams in years to come.

Gena Suarez, publisher of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, has written an article about her children and their own entrepreneurial  adventures, called Teens in Business--Beyond the Lemonade Stand.  I think you will enjoy it, so in your blog-reading-while-sipping-coffee-or-tea-time, take a moment to read it and see what you think.

Don't forget to get your ticket to hear all this great information.  Early bird Registration closes soon!  I want you to be able to get the best deal possible for your hard earned money. 

What's that?
You can't attend the Expo live?

That's ok...  still go and get an early bird ticket.  No, I haven't lost my mind.  Let me explain.  When you buy a Expo live ticket, you automatically get everything that happens; all the speakers, and workshops, delivered to you in MP3 format!  A few weeks after the actual event, you will be able to load them onto your listening device of choice and hear them while you are on the beach.  ( If you do that, don't tell me.  I will be jealous.  I love the beach.)  Buying the ticket to attend the Schoolhouse Expo now, is the best of both worlds, you will get all the freebies, AND the flexibility to listen and learn as you can.

I hope to see you, and your kids at the Expo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...